Sweden currently has an agreement on medical benefits with EU/EEA countries, Switzerland and a number of Convention Countries.

A person who travels to an EU/EEA country, Switzerland or to another Convention Country must have a certificate from the Swedish Social Insurance Agency which shows that they belongs to that country, so that they are sure to receive medical treatment in accordance with EU/EEA regulations and the Convention, i.e., without incurring any costs other than patient fees, where applicable.

A person who travels to a non-convention country must carry a personal insurance card (Swedish State Business Travel Insurance Certificate). The documentation required for these cards is provided by Kammarkollegiet and issued by the respective authority. The purpose of the card is for the insured to be able to have quick access to emergency medical treatment as it allows the hospital to establish immediately that the patient has insurance that covers the costs.